Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Sneaking into the Radley house


Dill had suggested that we go for a walk. When Scout asked where we’d be walking, he nodded his head in the direction of the Radley house. “Okay.” I agreed. Scout didn’t want to go. “You don’t have to come alone, Angel May.” i teased. We walked quietly down the sidewalk, the only audible sounds being porch swings creaking as they swayed back and forth, and the occasional laugh from Miss Stephanie Crawford. I told Scout that she should head home, I could tell she didn’t want to do this. “What are you gonna do?” she questioned. Dill explained that we were simply going to peep through the window with the loose shutter to see if we could see Boo Radley, and that if Scout didn’t want to come with us she could go straight home and keep her mouth shut. She tried to beg me not to go but i just told her to keep quiet or go home. “I declare to the Lord you’re getting more like a girl every day!” After that statement she decided to join us. I held up the bottom wire of the fence that enclosed the Radley House’s garden and motioned Dill under it, Scout following behind him. Scout held up the wire from the other side so i could get through. I struggled to get through because i am bigger than them, but eventually made it. “Don’t make a sound.” i whispered. I silently made my way towards the the old gate that separated the garden from the backyard. I tried to open it but it squeaked loudly. “Spit on it,” Dill said. We did as he said and i tried to slowly open the gate once again, successfully doing so. We crept around to the side of the house, where the window was. The sill was several inches taller than me. Scout and i held each others wrists and crouched down so we could raise Dill to the window. He said he saw nothing but curtains. “Let’s get away from here,” i breathed. 

Dill suggested trying the back window so i walked ahead of him to the back porch, ignoring Scout’s protests. As i placed my foot on the bottom step it creaked loudly. I panicked for a moment and stood still. I skipped two steps, not willing to risk more creaking, and stood myself on the porch. I dropped to my knees and crawled towards the window, then raised my head to look inside. I couldn’t see anything. As i was about to crawl back to the steps, i saw a shadow creep it’s way towards me on the porch wall. The shadow’s arm came out from it’s side, dropped, then just stood still for a few moments. It then slowly turned and walked back across the wall and off the side of the house, returning to where it had come from. I sprinted off of the porch and headed towards Dill and Scout. I quickly opened the gate and we all ran through the garden. I looked back to see that Scout had fallen over, and the loud roar of a gunshot pierced through the silence of the night. Dill and i helped Scout regain her balance before continuing to run to the fence, as if our lives depended on it. I held the wire once again for Dill and Scout to crawl through, then tried to crawl through myself but i noticed my pants had gotten stuck on the wire. I panicked and quickly kicked off my pants, running after Dill and Scout in my shorts. We didn’t look back until we were all safely behind the large oak tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment